It's a scenario that many people find themselves in... you love where you live but aren't in love with your house. You may have outgrown it or you have bought an existing property that needs a lot of work.
While selling up and moving house can result in a significant change to your lifestyle (and a substantial change to your bank account once you pay real estate agents and stamp duty), a custom designed knockdown rebuild might be the answer to your dream home as it allows you to stay in the suburb you know and love.
There are a number of benefits to knocking down your old home and rebuilding including:
- You can custom design your dream home to suit you and your lifestyle.
- You have full control over what you want in your new home, rather than choosing from set designs which you can’t (or a builder won’t!) customise.
- The ability to build your dream home in a location you are familiar with and stay close to your friends and family.
- A knock down rebuild allows you to retain the value of the land, which appreciates over time, especially in Melbourne!
- You will save on real estate agents fees (typically between 1.5% and 2.5% + marketing fees) along with Stamp Duty and conveyancing fees. For example, if you were to sell a property worth $1M, you would need to pay around $15,000 – $25,000 in agents fees plus marketing which is typically in the vicinity of $5,000 – $8,000. Then when you buy your next property worth $1.5m, your stamp duty will be around $82,000. You are looking at in excess of $100,000 just to move house, and that excludes conveyancing and moving fees!
- You can knockdown/rebuild at a time that suits you, rather than spending time trying to find your dream home and negotiate settlement terms.
At Sherbrooke Design and Construction, we take the stress out of knockdown rebuilds and look after you every step of the way by providing a complete architectural design and construction service. We arrange your project from concept to completion, removing the need for you to find your own demolition company, organise associated permits and deal with town planning which is required by a lot of other builders.
So how does the process work once you’ve made the decision to knockdown and rebuild a custom designed home with Sherbrooke Design and Construction?
You’ll meet with one of our designers to discuss your needs, wishes and your budget along with offering advice to make the most out of your block of land. Make sure you bring inspiration (photos and videos) you have collected along the way, so we can get a feel of what you want in your new home. A concept design plan will be discussed in line with your proposed budget.
Let’s Get Designing
After our meeting, our skilled designer will then prepare a draft concept design based on our discussions with you.
When the draft concept design is ready, you’ll meet with your designer once again to review and confirm that the home design is what you’re looking for and we have interpreted your ideas correctly. Changes are made to accommodate your needs if required.
Once you have approved the design, our Design Team will prepare a Budget Estimate and preliminary specifications while using our industry knowledge to help you stay within your chosen budget.
We review these with you so you can see what is included in the estimate for your new dream home and make final adjustments if necessary. We guarantee our budget estimates to be within 5% of a fixed price quote/contract based on the information we have from our initial meetings.
When you’re completely comfortable with the Budget Estimate and Preliminary Specifications, we get your documentation underway. This will be presented to you in the form of a Preliminary Building Agreement and includes the preparation of building engineering, town planning permits (if required), soil reports and final contract specifications for your new home. This is the perfect time to ask any questions you may have in relation to the information presented.
Once you’re satisfied with all of the relevant documents you will be presented with a copy of your contract for your review. The contract includes a fixed price, guaranteed completion date and the homeowners’ warranty guarantee.
The Next Steps
At Sherbrooke Design and Construction, we can help you build the perfect home for your family without leaving your current neighbourhood. Click here to book your free design chat today or call Michael on 9594 8400 or 0425 725 253 to find out how we can help you design and build a custom home you will love.